Thursday, February 7, 2013

1:30AM Whine

Indulge me just a bit.  I promise to keep it short.  What the H E double hockey sticks was I thinking having another kidlet when my first one was 16???  Of course I really wanted a wee princess to add to our brood, and it really was 'now or never' for us...I mean I was not going to be THAT lady who is on the news because I miraculously gave birth at 73, with my great grand children in the delivery room with me.  *shudder*

But I never imagined how difficult this large gap would be.  At first, it was all sunshine and roses (or more accurately, sleepless nights and spit up), but DS was super helpful and loved his wee sister.  He especially loved her in the first 72 hrs when she slept most of the time.

Way back then, he was still in high school, so he went to be by 10 or 11 every night, and got up early for school every single day.  Fast forward 2.5 years, and he is in university now (Proud mama YAY!!!!).  He sleeps until his first class, which on one day of the week is at 6pm!!!  Other days it varies but is generally around 10am.  What does this mean?  Well, when I get up with Little Miss in the morning around 6am, DS has just gone to bed.  Little Miss is as quiet as a lawn tractor in your auditory canal, and quieting a toddler is like wrestling an alligator in jello...a bit difficult.  So it can be a bit noisy (although we are trying to learn to whisper).

Now DS is feeling like he can't sleep ever, and is talking about changing schools because of it.  This would allow him to move away.  I am all for him expanding his horizons and living the way he wants to live, but moving out so he can sleep a bit more seems silly.  Especially since we leave the house by 7:15am, so he could go back to sleep.

But back to me.

His 'all hours of the night' routine, means that no matter how quiet he thinks he is, my mommy hearing has me on alert and awake at the creak on the stairs, the boom of the Xbox, or the crash of a dish during his late night smorgasbord.

So here I type at almost 2am, wide awake since 11:30pm.  Yep I went to sleep at 11pm and got a solid 30 min.  This is a routine played out several times a week in some form.  I feel like I haven't slept through a full night in 3 years.  Maybe I should start to drink nightly.  Yawn.

That is all.

No comments: