Monday, July 4, 2011

Dirt

It's so funny.  When I had Kiddo almost (gulp) 17 yrs ago, I thought of myself as a pretty laid back mama.  I didn't stress too much about stuff, although I do remember wondering when he would finally crawl...hee hee

Now with Little Miss I find myself even more laid back.  So much so that she kinda raises herself while I lounge on the couch with my pomtini.


Ahem just kidding...gulp gulp gulp

Anyways, if her toy falls on the ground, I just pick it up and hand it back knowing it'll be in her mouth in seconds.  I let her chew on my credit cards, my cell phone case and anything else that won't break off and choke her.  The other day she was chewing on the silicone basting brush in my kitchen...it was clean to start but then she slobbers all over it, drops it on the floor and mommy hands it back to her.  To my credit I do remove any clumpy dog fur that attaches itself, but otherwise I can't even tell you how much dust and germs have also jumped on board for a one way trip to her gummy mouth.

I think this world is too obsessed with germs.  I think antibacterial soap is alright but I buy soap based on how it smells not how many extra germs it will eradicate.  I think that if you wash your hands well it doesn't matter what soap you use.  I think that over using antibacterial products and never exposing kids to germs and dirt is what causes them to get sick constantly.  Don't get me wrong, if the guy next door had ebola virus I wouldn't drag her over to get her exposed so she could fight it off but I'm not going to worry too much about how clean the floors are when I pick up her soother, wipe it on my pants and hand it right back to her.  Does this make me a bad mommy?  Maybe, but just let me finish my drink before you judge me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Avery LOVES the silicone baster, to the point that I've put it in the diaper bag for an on the go toy when I really need her happy! She also eats dirt in the garden (I have a photo with sticks hanging out of her mouth.) She regularly eats whatever speck she can find on the floor and last week ate old ketchup chips off a classroom floor. (O.K. that one did gross me out.) Anyway, I agree with your germ philosophy. They will be exposed to all sorts so as long as it isn't going to hurt her, let her have her fun!

Kristy (reddlox from TMP)

Staceroo said...

Ya - sometimes it is a little gross...I'm just waiting for the day she tries to get the dog's food...sigh!

Staceroo said...

PS - so glad I'm not the only one who lets their kid chew on a basting brush! haha