Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Raising 2 Generations of Kids

I often feel as though I am raising 2 generations of kids.  I joke that I feel like I am raising my own grandchildren due to the age gap.  My son is almost 17, has his learner's permit to drive, is entering his last year of high school and is very independent most of the time.  My daughter will be 8 months in a few days, she is just about to pop a tooth, has mastered sitting up and her world ends when I leave the room without her.

I love being a mom to my two kidlets and cannot believe how lucky I have been to get to do this all again.

With that said, I now want to tell you that some days I think about shaving my head bald in public and being admitted to a secure facility where my biggest worry is when my next pretty pink pill will be coming.    Although he is usually an amazing kid, once in awhile my kiddo will make comments that just make me wish for a chalkboard to run my fingernails down.  I might be in the middle of getting dinner on, and trying to keep Little Miss entertained in her highchair, but sometimes she just fusses.  It happens.  My kiddo will happen to walk in right then and say "Are you just going to leave her?"  Argh!  He walked in one day when Little Miss had just finished enjoying some watermelon...well, her body, arms, chair and the floor also enjoyed the watermelon.  My kiddo walks in and says, "She's really sticky, you should wash her."  Sigh.

 We feed our dogs twice per day, and they generally both eat out of one bowl, empty it, then later finish the second bowl.  Neither dog is super food motivated so there is often food left in one bowl when the next feeding time comes.  The other day, my kiddo walked past the dog food bowls and noticed that one was empty.   He asked me "Have the dogs been fed yet tonight?"  I replied "Not yet," and he responds with "You might want to make sure they get fed."  OMG

Don't get me wrong, the same kiddo also offers to help if we need help with household repairs, he is generally polite and appreciative, doesn't get into too much trouble and is a pleasure to spend time with most of the time.

Yep, while I get the extreme pleasure and privilege of raising two amazing kids, some days I just want to scream.

1 comment:

therealhousewifeofoxfordcounty said...

Love this post and can't believe how hard this must be.. baby attitude and teen attitude YIKES..
need your patio opened STAT!