Monday, April 11, 2011

Lesson Learned

When I was pregnant I received a contraption that was completely foreign to me.  It had a handle and a mesh bag on the end.  My dear hubby's cousin explained that it is for teething babies - you place fruit or cold food in the mesh bag and baby can chew on it, get the flavours but not choke on the food.  What will they think of next?

I tried it with Little Miss at around 5 months, however she was clearly not ready.  I had placed a piece of pear in it (it was all I could find) and she picked it up, put it down and just didn't care.  Last week I decided to try again and came up with the brilliant idea that I'd use frozen fruit.  It would be nice and cold already, and easy to squah into the bag.  Into the freezer I went to find a bag of mixed berries.  Now any of you with any common sense may see where this is going, but I, in my infinite naivete, did not.

I jammed as many frozen blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries as I could into that little bag, and proudly handed it over to her.  She absolutely loved it.  She gnawed and chewed on that little bag, and it soon became clear where I went wrong.   I had handed her a bag full of dark purple berries that thawed very quickly.  I ran to get her a bib, which helped contain the carnage, but alas, her sleeper was ruined when the teether fell beside her and left a huge purple stain (think of a pen that exploded...nice dark purple!)






Yep - next time we use watermelon.  OR she gets stripped down to a diaper in the backyard.  Silly Mommy!

No comments: