Friday, March 11, 2011

Discovery

I have realized something in the last couple of days and am kind of 'in awe' of how my mind works.  The crazy part I mean.

I can be a bit obsessive...I know I've said it before but I just wanted to make sure you remembered!  In the past when I have decided to try to lose weight, I have been very disciplined with my eating and exercise.  Through many years I have learned that I am an 'all or nothing' kind of girl.  This works well when it's 'all' for me.  For example, if I am trying to lose weight or get healthier, I strictly monitor my food intake, I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies and lean protein, limit white carbs and can easily pass on desserts and sinful treats.  At the same time, I exercise almost daily, whether it's walking or running outside, doing the same on my treadmill, or finding a seasonal physical activity to do.

It all sounds very good, and it is, except while I am doing all of this healthy stuff, I am also weighing myself daily.  I like weighing daily, and when I go 'hard core healthy' the daily results on the scale are fabulous.  The problem comes when those daily results no longer show fabulous results.  It starts when my weight stays the same, or gasp, goes up temporarily...in the short term I am generally disciplined enough to keep going on my healthy road, however eventually, it gets me down.  I might have a slip up, and then choose not to weigh the next day.  This might happen once or twice, and then I just stop meeting my scale for our daily appointment.  Yes I am fickle.

This time around, in trying to lose baby weight and beyond, I am committed to only weighing on Wednesdays...and I am enjoying it!  I will be honest - I fight the urge every single morning to get on the scale to just 'take a peek' at my progress, but so far I have been successful.  I am hoping that what this will do is negate the odd slip up (I mean come on, I gotta live!) and keep my motivation up longer.  Time will tell I guess!

No comments: